The arrival of the new generation CB80 was unveiled to an excited audience at the Australian Bus & Coach Show 2009. The Hon David Campbell MP, NSW Minister for Transport addressed the bus industry along with Mark Burgess, CEO Custom Coaches, to introduce Custom Coaches new flagship.
In the address, Minister Campbell commented that the new generation “CB80” represents a major capital investment for the industry leader and has been developed to replace the current CB60 that has been in successful operation with government and private fleets for nearly 10 years.
Years in the making, the CB80 is forged from Custom Coaches 55 years of experience combined with active input from today’s bus operators. The result is a new standard in operational efficiency, engineered through cutting edge design technology and the very latest in automotive materials.
Custom Coaches new low floor city bus is a lighter, stronger, safer, better quality and better value vehicle designed for local conditions. A world class product built by a world class manufacturer, right here in Australia.
Key features of the new CB80
- Standard one door design features 53 seated passengers with extra leg room (in excess of legal openings). No other body builder can achieve this balance between high capacity and passenger comfort.
- The new CB80 features a lighter frame design with lighter floors, lighter doors and lightweight panelling – maximising overall capacity without compromising on the strength or life of the vehicle.
Reduced Tare Weight
- External panels utilise the latest ‘pultraded’ fibreglass technology, providing extreme impact resistance with weight saving properties.
- Internal panelling has been developed using 3D modelling, providing strength in design using less materials.
- The new CB80 frame has undergone extreme Finite Element Analysis to achieve maximum strength with less material. Smarter use of stainless steel or galvanised steel frames reduce weight while enhancing product life.
- Modesties are now lighter and safer, floor hatches now use composite material, making them lighter, stronger with increased acoustic qualities.
- The inclusion of new door systems using composite materials save 30% of the door weight.
- External skirt panels are high resistant ‘ pultraded’ fibreglass which allow high impact without fracture, distortion or drooping. Skirt panels are specially shaped to provide quick installation or replacement. They can be made to company colours, with the same colour being throughout the thickness of the material, saving operating time and money
- New ducting material, with ‘hinge-less’ design, provides access to the ducting area using a new pivoting system. The ducting, lights and stanchions are a fully integrated feature saving on weight and components.
- Fibreglass roof and front rear headers have been modelled with 3D technology, providing higher strength with lighter weight.
- New plastics are now available for use in the bus industry, and the CB80 is the first to utilise them and provide cost savings to Australian operators. The latest high impact plastics are available for front and rear corners in the high impact zones.
- These parts are similar to fibreglass parts, but take three times the impact without fracturing.
Latest Design Technology
- The CB80 includes the latest 3D frame modelling allowing a more accurate integrated body and chassis design. Reduced weight and fibre tolerance allows Custom Coaches to use less steel but achieve the same strength.
- Parts are no longer manually produced. The new CB80 parts are computer designed and formed on a five axis router. The frame components are all shaped using a laser cutter to achieve a high quality result. So it doesn’t matter if the part you are buy now or in 20 years time, it will still fit, it will be the same & it will look perfect.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is the best technology to achieve optimum balance between low tare weight and a 25 year design life. Builders not using FEA are only guessing if their body/chassis combination can sustain a 25 year design life. There is no substitute for technology and expertise, both of which Custom Coaches are proud to offer Australian operators.